Great family dentistry begins with a great family atmosphere. Our practice, at Cordova Family Dental, offers a welcoming, open atmosphere to enhance a full list of family dental services. We hope you’ll come experience the difference soon! Please read on to learn more about the dental services we offer.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings are at the heart of good dental health. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Plaque Removal: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. In some cases, this inflammation can lead to problems, such as periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: For that super clean, smooth smile, polishing is included in your cleaning for an amazing looking, and feeling, smile!
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Many people overlook the importance of gum care. The gums play a critical role in the overall health of the mouth. Periodontal disease is the result of infection within and around the gums. If left untreated, it can spread all the way to the bone! Swollen, bleeding or reddened gums are the most common symptoms. Returning your gums to a healthy state is much easier when problems are detected in the early stages.
Dentistry for Children
Dental care should be at the top of every parent’s list when it comes to a raising a healthy child. Thankfully, children’s dentistry is an area in which we both excel and enjoy here at Cordova Family Dental. From the growth, and loss, of baby teeth through the regrowth during the adolescent years and on to adulthood, regular appointments are key in providing healthy smiles for years to come. Also, tooth development challenges are much easier to monitor and correct when children are younger.
A preventive program is a cooperative effort by the patient, dentist, and dental staff to preserve the natural dentition and supporting structures by preventing the onset, progress, and recurrence of dental diseases and conditions.
Preventing dental disease starts at home with good oral hygiene and a balanced diet. It is continued in the dental office by the efforts of your dentist and dental hygienist to promote, restore, and maintain your oral health.
Prevention also includes regular dental exams, cleanings, and x-rays. Sealants and fluoride are also great preventive treatments that help protect the teeth.
Prevention helps avoid serious and costly dental problems and is the key to having a healthy, confident, beautiful smile.
If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to schedule an appointment, please contact us today. We look forward to providing you with the personal care you deserve.